Friday, April 19, 2013

Math Vocabulary meets Pantomime

It is nearing the end of the year.  Though you would have thought we were at the end since before 4th quarter started!! Students are needing even MORE active learning to keep engagement at 90% level my district is striving to obtain.  So......
equivalent  

equilateral triangle

Hmmm...forgot which word they were. 
 I just loved laughter and pure fun they were having in
this picture.

What do you think the vocabulary word was for this one?
(think about it... I am sure you can telepathically see me
pointing to my temple as a signal to not respond.)
x
X
x
X
x
X
x
x
X
x
(think time......)
 
"1, 2, 3..tell me."
(Again, I am sure you saw the signal for speak!  :) )
YES! Denominator


I have a great group of future pantomimes! They did a terrific job. Only once or twice was it hard to figure out the vocabulary word.
   I am getting to be a proficient teacher of math vocabulary, solid 3. I decided in February after a quick exit ticket activity that we REALLY needed to focus on vocabulary EVERY DAY!  It has been working.  This was just one way we have practiced.  They love to toss the ball to music and review as well and vocabulary bingo.
   Now, I know I cannot open my student's brains and see if they were at 90% engaged when participating as the audience.  However, because of their interactions, I know they were paying attention better than just sitting and listening to me!  I would have been marked high for engagement when the groups were deciding what to do with their vocabulary word.  I would have dropped fast when they were watching as a whole group.  If you want to keep the "score" for engagement high, have your students pair with another group and show just them.  The "audience" would then be actively guessing together.  The groups would keep moving around the room until they have done their pantomime for everyone.

   Have fun building vocabulary connections inside your student's brains!
      Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment